Monday, June 14, 2010

Patric

This posting relates to the first orphanage I visited and that I have talked about in my first posts in this blog.  You can go here, to read some of the history of this orphanage (my blog is named for this orphanage).  There is a little boy who is living there, who has always held a special place in my heat (aside from Moses, who was almost ours).  His name is Patric, he is 6-7 years old.  He has an undiagnosed medical condition, characterized by macrocephaly (a large head).  He does not have hydrocephalus.  He stood out to me, not because of this however, but because of his spirit and heart.  He is probably the sweetest little kid I've ever met.  He would always come right up to me when I used to visit there and put his hand in mine and just stand by me the whole time or walk next to me.  He tried to participate in the games or songs we taught the kids, but sometimes he was just too tired.  He called me "mama", not "mzungu" ("white person", very common).  I heard there was a neurosurgeon in Bukavu that saw children.  I wanted to know what he thought of Patric and whether he could do something to help him.  Because, you see, he was always sick and weak.  He wasn't in school with the other kids and often in the hospital.  I knew he would not survive in the orphanage.  So, I gave the hospital the money to do a head CT.  It could never be done, because he was terrified of the machine.  So, I let it go.  I haven't been to visit the orphanage again for a long time.  At the end of last week I got a call from the sister that runs the orphanage (who I really like) who told me he is very sick again and would I consider paying for him to have a head CT in Kigali.  I said, yes, because I love this little boy.  So, now I wait, she is supposed to come see me today or tomorrow before they go to Kigali.  I pray they learn what is wrong with him and perhaps they can do something to help him.  Perhaps.

2 comments:

mary said...

i drink in your posts again and again - thank you so much for each glimpse! we are carrying these children in our hearts with you. any idea how long it will be for you?

William said...

Praying with you...

~Heidi