Friday, July 23, 2010

fear

Last week, I found out the director of the orphanage had been robbed.  No one was hurt but half of the orphanages monthly budge ($1300) had been stolen.  He went to the Norwegian missionary to ask what could be done, could she find the funds to replace the money as it was for the water bill, salaries and half of the food for the month.  He was told there was no more money, that the money from that month had already not been sufficient and had been borrowed from another account.  I knew that the funding of the orphanage was going to be dwindling in the near future, but I didn't realize there were troubles already.   He also told me that 3 families in Norway had been providing ALL the school fees for the 85 kids that are under the orphanage care but not living at the orphanage anymore, would not be providing the fees starting this fall.

What I am providing right now, through money we have raised and through OFA is helping with 4 additional mamas, powdered milk and formula.  Until 3 months ago these were "luxury" items and not included in the monthly budget.  This is why so many of the kids were in the shape they were in when I first came to the orphanage.  And why there have been so many drastic improvements.

I admit I am afraid.  I feel like we were brought to this orphanage at this time for this reason.  But, I feel very overwhelmed and not sure what to do next.  I have a fundraising letter I have started and is in a rough draft.  The thing is I know these children, I know their faces and (most) of their names.  They know me.  I love them.  This is one of only a few orphanages in this area of Congo.  They receive children from ALL over.  Since I started coming in the end of February they have received 6 new infants!  And when I came they had 3 small containers of formula to use for 15 children PER MONTH.  One can (at $7/can) should feed one infant every three days!!!  Again, it is not surprising the children looked like they did when I first came and why some are still struggling from the long term effects of extreme malnutrition.  What is surprising is that they are still alive!

So, if anyone following along, feels led to help me-whether through advice, donation, or fundraising (whether it is talking to friends, family, or your church) let me know.  I have a plan of sorts involving ongoing needs, short term immediate needs, long term needs and sponsorship fees for the children age 5 and over.  This is a lot.  But God brought me there for this reason I strongly believe.  I was reading the verse in the end of John 16 the other day and I do want to "Take heart!"

Okay, Natalie is covering all four of the kids (including their hair) with burt's bag balm...maybe I should go!!!!

And, maybe, post bag balm, I will write a post on my emotional rollar coaster of waaaaiiitttting for our adoption decree!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Laughing at the bag balm - have fun getting that out of all their hair!! Hope you caught it before it became too much of a disaster. =) As far as the fund raising goes, I'm in!! We can write more about it over email, but just wanted you to know that I'll be brainstorming.

www.aboutourhouse.blogspot.com said...

I'm in too Holly! We have been raising awareness of DRC at our church. This week we did a flip flop drive at VBS for kids at Lisanga and we already have over 200 pairs. The exciting thing is that the kids are going home and talking to their parents about the needs of children in DRC. I'm praying that families will be moved to do more!

William said...

I am here...use me

~Heidi

Corrabelle said...

I am here too...I will do what I can and more to help. Let me know. I am also trying to find a way to come with Jilma soon.

Abby Huette said...

If we raise or give money, how do we get it to you? Is it best to go through OFA or Food for the Hungry or another avenue?

Kristie said...

Definately email me one of your support letters with all of the details. We will be praying and will help with your efforts to fundraise!

mary said...

You are not alone. God is in control. And we are all walking alongside of you in prayer and in seeking and knocking in fundraising!