Monday, October 11, 2010

And last but not least

It is late, 11:24 actually.  I have 6 minutes to write something I would like to spend so long on.  About 95% of the kids are at Kaziba because their mothers died in childbirth.  I start to really think about this.  And I want to do something about it.  I want to learn what I can do to decrease the number of women who die in childbirth.  Mothers do not easily give up their children.  Here or anywhere.  Out of 180 countries ranked in a recent Lancet article about maternal mortality, DRC was in the top 150 (I will get this reference and add it tomorrow).  50% of the maternal deaths were in 6 countries (DRC being one of the six).   I think my girls would want me to do something about this, I owe it to their mama.  I think, that if Tumaini gets off the ground, there will be a component dedicated to helping the Kaziba hospital (as it is the reference hospital in the area) do something to decrease the numbers of women who die in birth and leave their baby orphaned.  11:28, time to shut down.

3 comments:

Shawny said...

I love this idea Holly and can't wait to hear more about it. Thanks for being a voice for the women who can't :)

William said...

Thanks for sharing this, Holly. Like we spoke the other day, my heart is so burdened over this! While pregnant over 21yrs ago with my firstborn, it was the quiet, graceful strength of the beautiful Congolese women that encouraged me through it...and now, will someday bring my future little ones into our family. Such amazing women!

~Heidi

Shauna said...

You have a mothers heart caring for all children and their mothers. This mother, yours Holly, always smiles with pride as I read your words and what you desire. I love you my girl, your mom