Thursday, February 10, 2011

another step--Patric

Today the sister that has been following Patric's medical case FINALLY came by and gave me his medical reports!  They are not in english (as she had promised) and are a bit complicated, but I can understand that he has at least these diagnoses:  pericarditis (wiki: "Pericarditis is an inflammation of the pericardium (the fibrous sac surrounding the heart", unknown cause, though he did have TB as a toddler which was treated), cardiomegaly ("big heart", of the left ventricle), and cranial atrophy (unknown cause, and this is a very general description from a head CT without contrast, (it is clear he does NOT have hydrocephalus)), and anemia (maybe secondary to Sickle Cell Disease).  What this all means is he is one sick little boy.  He tires very easily.  He gets sick often.  He is in and out of hospitals.  He has not been to school, because he is too weak.  


I don't know if there is anything I can do to help this little boy.  But one thing I do know with much certainty, is that I will never know, if I don't try.  The most I can do right now, is ask all my readers to ask all their friends and families, if anyone would like to help this little boy.  He needs to go to the states.  He will need most likely long term medical care.  There is a lot of unknowns.  He is an orphan.  He would need a permanent family.  There are a couple options for him.  He could possibly go to the U.S. on a medical visa and live with a family.  Or, the longer option, he could be adopted here and then taken to the U.S.  


I haven't seen him in a long time.  Now that the sister said I can look for a family for him and now that I have his medical exams I will try to visit him this weekend and talk to the pediatrician that takes care of him.  


My email is hmulford@gmail.com

1 comment:

mary said...

praying for a family for him - do you know how to get kids posted onto www.rainbowkids.com/org? I know there are some websites dedicated to making adoptable special needs cases known - let me know if you want me to look into it. do you know how he could be aodpted - i.e. who could help facilitate, etc after you're gone?