Thursday, August 18, 2011

"I don't talk to people who aren't white"

Racism, prejudice, judgment, hate, ignorance-it all exists everywhere.  Yesterday, it existed at the new park we went to in our little new town.  Hard, hurtful words spoken by a small boy who didn't understand what he was saying.  Spoken to strangers who were brown and not white like him.

I don't know how equipped I am to handle racism.  I'm white and I grew up in a little town full of white people.  I lived in Africa.  Living in Africa changed me, taught me, humbled me, but I have so much to learn.

I pray that from a humbled heart comes graciousness that my children will also learn.  My mom taught me so much about grace, gratitude, generosity, compassion, and love, just by being who she is.  I pray that I may have a heart filled with love as well.   I don't think I can protect my children from every harm and hurt they will feel (I wish I could).  But I pray that having been raised in love and compassion, they might weather the storms they will face with strength, compassion, and courage.   And a deep abiding faith in the God who loves faithfully and abundantly, to carry them through.








3 comments:

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

what??? how awful Holly! My heart goes out to you and the girls ... phew - can only imagine how horrible it must have been to hear that.

MRSA said...

thank you so much for all of your posts, for your openness in letting us gain a glimpse into your life in the congo and now back in the states. I wish you and your family all the best in the days ahead.

lindsay
Victoria, BC