Tuesday, September 6, 2011

and so now I own a flat iron

A lovely friend of mine (a fellow adoptive Congo mom, who came and lived in Bukavu for a few months to be with her daughter while the adoption proceedings finished) sent me a flat iron today.  I cried.  Not because of the flat iron!  I don't even know how to use it.  I didn't even know what they were until she told me about them last year.  And she knew that :).  The note that she sent in the package today reminded me to find a you tube video on how to use it.  I don't even own a hair blower (hair dryer?) or hair iron (what are those things called??)!

I was touched by her thoughtfulness.  She lived in Bukavu long enough to get a sense of my life there, of the challenges, the joys, the struggles, and the beauty.  She and I are very different.  I have no idea how to use a flat iron, she rarely went without one (and left it behind to be with her little girl in Congo).  But, we shared a similar love for a sweet little girl, that now calls her mommy and is about to turn two years old.   And she braved it out in DRC, never having lived overseas before.  I also had never lived overseas before moving to and living in DRC.  There is a deeper level that you can connect on with a person.

She visited the orphanage with me during her time in Bukavu.  She told her friends about her visit and she and her friends raised money for the little ones that were left in the orphanage.  And she continues to do so and continues to tell the stories of the little children of the Save the Children orphanage.  International adoption has it's challenges, and I struggle with what I fear will happen if there isn't more oversight in adoption from Congo.  However, I have been so blessed by the friendships of the amazing people I have met along the way.  Those that have been moved to not only open their homes and lives to little ones who did not have a chance to live in a family, but also advocate and support those left behind.

This is what Tumaini is about, not forgetting those left behind.  It is giving those children (that for so many reasons, most of them because they already have families) that live in an orphanage today, without a mother and/or father to care for them and love them, a chance (all of the children living in the Save the Children orphanage do not have a living mother).  It is about giving the babies food so they will survive.  And providing extra staff so there are women to hold them and nurture them.  It is about giving the older children milk, caregivers enough that they have time to play with them, talk to them, take them outside.  It is about giving the older children a chance to go to school that they wouldn't have had otherwise.  It is giving them all a chance to be a part of their communities and a part of the church, that is so deep and rich in that area.  It is about giving them a chance to grow in faith and love.  It is about giving all of the orphaned children we support, hope.  Hope for a future beyond today.  Hope that is only found when you are loved and you have food to know that love is real.  Hope that is life giving and lasting.

Would you consider partnering with us by sponsoring one of the children who does not have a sponsor?  Or do you know someone that might want to do so?  Would you consider telling others about Tumaini?

You can choose to do a partial sponsorship at $25/month or a full sponsorship at $50/month.

Our website is here.

More detailed information about sponsorship can be found on this post.

Children available for sponsorship are here.

And finally, if you do choose to sponsor a child, please let us know.  Either email me (my email is above right) or follow one of the contact links on our website.

Thank you.


This cutie pie is Bertin, he needs one more sponsor.  

No comments: