Thursday, November 24, 2011

a thankful day

Right this minute I'm thankful for many things.

I'm very thankful I am able to do work in DRC, in a small quiet way.  I'm thankful, that together with others, we are making a difference in children's lives.  Giving them a chance at life.  There is so much to be done, there is still a lot that needs work, and more can be improved.  That is for sure.  But tonight, I'm thankful that for most of the children at the Save the Children orphanage, their lives are improved.

Tonight, there could have been 2 women with 40+ children.  Instead there are 4 women with 30 children.  During the day there are 5 women with 30 children.  There is milk for the older children.  There is formula for the babies.  There could have been 2 women with 40 babies and children.  They could be watering down formula and only giving it three times a day to the babies under 6 months old.  It's not like that anymore.  The kids smile.  The babies don't sleep two to a crib anymore, they are too big.  The one year olds are pulling to stand and starting to walk.  They are held.  It's different.  It's better.  And it will continue to get better.

I'm thankful for the gift God has given me, to serve these children, to tell their stories, to give them hope.

It is a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this blog Holly! I know it inspires and humbles me in so many ways.

Cammie said...

Thank you for sharing these stories and for your willingness to serve these families and these children. I'm thankful for how God has blessed you to make a difference!