Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A very special auction to benefit Reeds of Hope

I'm back in the U.S.  My trip to eastern DRC went so well.  Thank you for all the prayers and support.  Given it was only 5 days in country, we were able to get a surprising amount done.  I have many things to share in the days ahead about my trip.  This morning however I wanted to give you the chance to participate in an auction that benefits Reeds of Hope.  I met the creator behind Emily Moon Dolls because of my blog and her interest in Congo.  I have been fortunate in that over the last 2-3 years, I have developed some amazing friendships because of my blog and our shared interest in working beside those in DRC.  My friendship with the woman behind Emily Moon Dolls has been one of those.  She has come behind our work with vulnerable children in eastern DRC and has consistently been a faithful source of encouragement and support.  There have been so many times when I have been overwhelmed by the obstacles and challenges facing our work in eastern DRC over the last couple years.  If it wasn't for friends like Lana, I don't know if I would still be continuing forward in the work we are doing.

Sometimes you meet unexpected friends and then you find out they have a gift of such creativity that it blows you away.   Such is Lana's gift and she has decided to share her gift with us to raise money for Reeds of Hope.  100% of the proceeds will go to support Reeds of Hope.  I feel quite humbled by the work she has done for this auction, it is incredible.  Please check it out.  Here is from a blog post she wrote as she introduced the inspiration behind this project.

It is the character-filled tarnish that is acquired by precious surfaces as they age:  patina; the accumulated changes of texture and colour, signifying the natural, even unavoidable, experience of life.  Patina is a thing of beauty - proof that life has indeed had an impact over time.  Look closely at the fine lines, the discoloration, the imperfections.  What stories they tell! 

I am thrilled to tell you more about a project I have been working on for the last many weeks.  I am creating a fairy tale set inspired by a lovely group of vintage, foundling and handcrafted items.  Each item has a story to tell, its own unique patina.  It is up to us to take the time to appreciate the items' uniqueness, their flaws and their allure in order to learn their stories.... 
The story of the Congo is deep, intricate and tragic.  And yet, the indelible impact of that story has left the most beautiful patina on the country and its people.  
Here are two posts about the auction from Emily Moon Dolls-  http://www.emilymoondolls.com/blog/2013/5/30/once-upon-a-time
http://www.emilymoondolls.com/blog/2013/5/20/patina

The site where you can bid is here (bidding starts June 12 at 10 am EDT)-
http://hyenacart.com/emilymoondolls/mt/5567/41530/OOAK-Princess-and-the-Pea-set


Thank you, Emily Moon Dolls, for your love and support of the vulnerable children in eastern DRC.



1 comment:

Lana said...

Thank you for this, Holly. I am forever grateful that our paths have crossed. xo Lana