Tuesday, July 23, 2013

the view from my window

I have been recovering from surgery (that was unexpected) the last few days and have never appreciated the view from my window as I have been lately.  It's been good to slow down.  I feel like this is the calm in the middle of a tornado and I'm about to get swept up in the craziness again in a few days or so.   I simply have too much to do.  Yet, there is a calm that surrounds me even in the middle of it all.

the view from my window


There is only so much I can do and there are four little ones that clamor for our attention despite whatever else needs doing.  It has been so good to have Mike back home.  Five weeks without him was just a little too long.

talking to dad


Yet, the container comes in two weeks.  There is nothing I can do to stop its arrival.  Also, I can't lift anything for two weeks.  All I can say is it should be a very interesting two weeks!  (And yes, in case you are wondering, the kids are in camp full time for the next two weeks.  I don't think I could get it done any other way.)

There is grief happening in our house over our approaching departure.  Tears comes easier, tantrums are more frequent, and hugs are given more often.  I feel like I have known too many goodbyes over the past 6 1/2 years.  Even if the changes are the best kinds of changes, goodbyes are never easy and always leave a heart clenching memory in it's wake.

There are other updates I want to share.   I'm so excited about the new sponsors that have partnered in our work in eastern DRC with Reeds of Hope.   Thank you!!  We now only need three more sponsors!  Here are the two little ones that still need sponsors.

 
Safari


Claude


These are specifically sponsorships for the children that live in the orphanage.  I'm most excited about the fact that when we are at full sponsorship we can begin to work on our goal of family reunification and alternative care.  There is nothing easy about this work.  A lot of the families live near the orphanage and are simply poor farmers.  The fathers are caring for the older siblings at home.   

There are others that come from far away.  One of the children we support is from an area that is where there is a lot of violence.  An area where there is a lot of displacement of populations.  I would recommend watching this video.  It is eye opening to the reality of what people in eastern DRC face who live in the areas where there is fighting.  (It is not for young viewers).   Our work is complicated by the insecurity that the region faces. (The orphanage we support, though in eastern DRC, is not located near the violence and most of our children are from farmers that are not directly living in areas of conflict.)

Yes, despite the challenges and despite how small our work feels compared to the overwhelming atrocities in eastern DRC, working with the children is worth all our best efforts.  Reuniting a child with his father, making sure he has high quality formula when he is dropped off after his mother died by a desperate father, providing loving caring women to love that infant, this work is valuable and means everything to that father and his family. 

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by what is happening in eastern DRC.  I feel broken by the pain and my own helplessness.  I feel hopeless, that it will never change and the suffering will happen over and over again.  But when I look at the work we and others are doing, the small numbers of lives we are all touching, I know that it does make a difference.  It makes all the difference to that child and his or her family.  And then, in their smiles, I see hope.  Hope for the people in eastern DRC.



If you have interest in sponsoring one of the last two children, please check out our website.  Sponsorships are $25/month.  Thank you! 

(More to come about a very important part of Reeds of Hope, supporting older children to go to school.  Please check back in.)

No comments: