We are in the middle of a transition time at Reeds of Hope. Moving to the model of family reunification and alternative care that we have been talking about the last 2 years here on my blog. It is a pretty exciting time and also overwhelming. We continue to be encouraged by those of you who support us and are excited about the direction in which Reeds of Hope is moving.
With all of this in mind, we have many needs that will need to be met before we can move forward and at the same time we still need to pay the monthly ongoing costs in our budget. These include: formula, fortified powdered milk, staff salaries, manager salary on the ground, school fees, and items like transport costs. Our monthly budget is $2200/month for the orphanage. We currently have raised $1800/month through sponsor support and regular donations. Also, we currently need 69 sponsors for the school children we support. Because we are committed to sending all the children to school whether or not we have sponsors for each one of them, we continue to raise money every trimester for all of their fees.
If you would like to give an end of the year (or start of the new year) one time gift to our work in eastern DRC, please use the paypal buttons on this blog (on the right side) or through our website- www.reedshope.org. If you are interested in sponsoring a child at the orphanage or a school aged child you can also find the links to do so at our website.
In addition to the ongoing needs mentioned above, we are specifically raising money for the following needs:
1. Second trimester school fees: $2000
2. Motorcycle for the manager's use to visit children as well as their families: $5000
3. Social Worker salary: $200/month (we already have $50/month of this raised from a donor)
Thank you for your support of Reeds of Hope!
I wanted to share a four (of the many organizations) I love, that you might want to support as well. I am purposefully sharing smaller organizations of which I personally know the founders.
1. Channel Initiative (Maternal Health Care in eastern DRC, guest post here)
2. ReUnite (Reuniting children with their families in Uganda)
3. Kupenda (Helping children with disabilities and special needs in Kenya, guest post here)
4. Forever Angels (A baby home that does family reunification and support work in Tanzania)